News:

Welcome to the new SCdev forums!

Main Menu

Probably a way to improve mini-sd performance

Started by Frank.45, June 01, 2006, 07:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank.45

Posted by Hanafuda at EZFlash forums(im putting here just some parts and not the full post):

When formating the card try choosing 16k, 32k, 64k cluster sizes and see if it does anything.
Ppl are reporting that castlevania intro works perfect, or have less slowdowns than before.
Some others are reporting that Tony Hawk is not choppy anymore.

1GB can be FAT formated with 32K clusters by following MS-DOS comannd, in case of miniDS to be mapped as drive e:.

>format e: /FS:FAT /A:32K

64K clusters can't be applied to 1GB, only to 2gb and higher.

512mb can only be 4k  :?

Plz ppl try this.

darkuni

It's worth trying.  I'll give it a whirl and let you guys know.
hane R. Monroe,
Co-Host of Dual Screen Radio
My Hacking Page | My DS List

Jinnai

That would be good if it really is the case...but that still doesn't really address GBA compatability.

darkuni

I'll be completely honest.  I see no difference at 64k clusters.  Animal Crossing is HORRIBLY SLOW still.

Shrug.
hane R. Monroe,

Jinnai

Quote from: "darkuni"I'll be completely honest.  I see no difference at 64k clusters.  Animal Crossing is HORRIBLY SLOW still.

Shrug.
I heard atleast for the Castlevania game into they used DMAx4 on M3 instead of DMAx1 and that is what made the differance. with DMAx1 its the same as anyone else.

socket

I feel that there is a performance improvement on my minisd with 64K cluster size, but I may be fooling myself.  Tony Hawk is still choppy.

xdf

Whats the default cluster size when formatting in windows?  I may try reformatting later but apart from a bit of slowdown when changing audio tracks in tony hawks, and slowdown in the castlevania intro i dont have any performance issues anyway...  8)

Critical_Impact

Whats the difference between minisd and sd, could changing the cluster size on an SD make any difference?

Jinnai

There was some talk that this really helped improve GBA gameplay more than DS and mostly on larger, those 2 or 4 GB.

Frank.45

Quote from: "xdf"Whats the default cluster size when formatting in windows?  I may try reformatting later but apart from a bit of slowdown when changing audio tracks in tony hawks, and slowdown in the castlevania intro i dont have any performance issues anyway...  8)

Whats your supercard? CF ,SD or miniSD ?
And whats the brand of your media?

dai_uk

Quote from: "Jinnai"There was some talk that this really helped improve GBA gameplay more than DS and mostly on larger, those 2 or 4 GB.

Hmm that doesn't make much sense to me as the gba games are loaded into the Supercards RAM and that is what has the speed issues (from what I've read here and experienced)
Damo

darkuni

Nope... Yoshi's Island is JUST AS slow as it was before :)
hane R. Monroe,

xdf

Quote from: "Frank.45"
Quote from: "xdf"Whats the default cluster size when formatting in windows?  I may try reformatting later but apart from a bit of slowdown when changing audio tracks in tony hawks, and slowdown in the castlevania intro i dont have any performance issues anyway...  8)

Whats your supercard? CF ,SD or miniSD ?
And whats the brand of your media?
Its mini sd. Im using a 1gb play.com branded card (they only deliver to uk i believe)

I havent tried reformatting yet tho. Mainly cos ive only got usb 1 for my card reader and itll take ages to backup and recopy all the games...

socket

Quote from: "dai_uk"
Quote from: "Jinnai"There was some talk that this really helped improve GBA gameplay more than DS and mostly on larger, those 2 or 4 GB.

Hmm that doesn't make much sense to me as the gba games are loaded into the Supercards RAM and that is what has the speed issues (from what I've read here and experienced)

Yeah, I think that's right.  The only way to improve the GBA performance would be to change the SC firmware or change the way the roms are patched.

xdf

Well ive tried reformatting my card with 32 and 64k cluster sizes and cant tell any difference.  I only tested castlevania and tony hawks.  Castlevania intro is still very choppy. I think theres possibly more breakup in the audio now infact but im not sure.  The slowdown changing music tracks in tony hawks has gone but its also now fixed when using default cluster size so the card must have just been fragmented when i originally had the problem.... Ah well, worth a try :)